Dec. 20, 1957 Archbishop Joseph P. Hurley, Bishop of St. Augustine Dioceses, in a letter to Fr. Joseph F Daly, requested research begun as to the likelihood to establish a ‘place of worship’ in Northern Sarasota County or Southern Manatee County.
Aug. 23, 1958 Archbishop Hurley advised Fr Daly he had now deferred any decision on a place of worship in the area.
Sept. 28, 1959 Fr. Leonard Duncan was given responsibility to establish a ‘Whitfield area Catholic Mission’ on the 13 acres at Pennsylvania Ave. (now 9th St. E.) and Magellan Drive.
Oct 2, 1959 Fr. Duncan arranged to offer Holy Sacrifice of the Mass at the “Holiday Yacht Club” on North Tamiami Trail.
Oct 11, 1959 Fr. Duncan celebrated First Mass at Holiday Yacht Club (now known as Holiday Inn).
Oct. 16, 1959 Archbishop Hurley authorized Fr. Duncan to offer 3 masses on Sundays & Holy Days in the Whitfield area. (essentially establishing the parish).
Oct 23, 1959 Archbishop Hurley assigned the name of the new parish as “Our Lady Queen of Martyrs”.
Nov. 1, 1959 Fr. Duncan celebrated Mass for the first time at Trailer Estates Auditorium 12:00 noon.
Nov. 9, 1960 Archbishop Hurley signed the contract to construct a “temporary church building for OLQM Parish.
Nov. 20, 1960 Ground breaking ceremonies to construct the new temporary church was held.
April 2, 1961 First Mass in the new provisional church was celebrated. (Easter Sunday)
June, 1961 Fr. Duncan reassigned.
July-Sep, 1961 Parish administrators John Scannel then Fr J. Keith Simons were assigned to OLQM.
Oct., 1961 - Fr. James S Honnen was assigned pastor
Mar., 1962 Fr. Joseph P. Moran appointed pastor
____, 1963 School building began construction.
Aug., 1964 Sisters of St. Francis arrived to administer and staff the new school.
Sept., 1964 First classes – grades 1 thru 4 began.
Jun., 1965 Fr. Moran redecorated provisional church and enlarged old rectory building.
July, 1966 Fr. Thaddeus McHugh appointed fourth pastor of OLQM.
Jun. 17, 1968 OLQM assigned to new Dioceses of St. Petersburg
July, 1968 OLQM school was closed due to insufficient enrollment.
July, 1969 Fr. Martin Flynn appointed 5th pastor of OLQM.
____, 1971 Provisional church was enlarged to a capacity of 460.
____, 1975 New rectory built, including parish office space.
Mar. 8, 1983 Ground breaking for construction of permanent church building.
May 28, 1984 First mass celebrated in new church.
Oct. 14, 1984 New church officially dedicated by Bishop W. Thomas Larkin. (2nd Bishop of St. Petersburg)
Oct. 25, 1984 OLQM became a part of the new Dioceses of Venice, Florida.
Oct, 1985 Flynn Hall was created by renovating the provisional church building
Sep. 1991 Fr. Thomas Zeder appointed parish administrator.
Nov. 23, 1991 Fr. Flynn dies.
May, 1992 Fr. Neil J. Flemming appointed 6th pastor
____, 1993 New parish administrative center constructed.
Dec. 7, 1996 Fr. Joseph F. Connolly, TOR appointed pastor. Parish was officially assigned as a Franciscan parish.